The Restoration of the Victorian

Completion work on the philological restoration and waterproofing of the terrace named “del Bollettino” – Monument to Victor Emmanuel II, the “Vittoriano.”

2014 – 2015


SUBJECT

Work on the completion and waterproofing of the terrace named “del Bollettino” – Monument to Victor Emmanuel II, the “Vittoriano”.

CUSTOMER
Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities, Regional Directorate
for the Cultural and Landscape Heritage of Lazio



WORK AMOUNT


€2,186,389.40 / €111,778.73 / €523,269.78


PLACE

Rome, Italy

RUP
Arch. Federica Galloni, Luca Leonetti

DIRECTOR OF WORK
Arch. Rossella Pesoli

JOB DESCRIPTION

Edilerica’s work involved the philological restoration and waterproofing of terraces and stairs of the famous Vittoriano Complex in Rome. It affected about two-thirds of the entire area of the complex, including the entire extent of the floor of the Bulletin terrace.

In a first step, the plates were mapped, photographed, numbered, and measured. This was followed by their uninstallation and subsequent removal. Once the underlying state of deterioration due to water infiltration was found, the screed was demolished and the resulting debris removed. A new screed was then made, over which a waterproofing layer was spread.

In the meantime, the numerous marble slabs were restored one by one on site with washing, biocide packs, and marble powder grouting. Through such solutions, an attempt was made to remedy the stains and signs of decay due to rising underlying moisture and various fractures on the surface.

Next came the delicate phase of repositioning and rounding, that is, the leveling of the floor surface through the use of stones of different grits-some harder, some softer-that softened and finally eliminated scratches and imperfections.

In addition to the work on the slabs, Edilerica also handled the cleaning of the staircases, again by washing and applying biocides, also performing joint fillers formulated for color and grain size similar to the existing material.

The Victorian

It was named after Victor Emmanuel II, the first king of Italy. Upon his death in 1878, it was decided to erect a monument celebrating the Father of the Fatherland and with him the entire Risorgimento season.

Work began in 1885 in the Piazza Venezia area, and half of the Capitoline Hill was demolished to make room for the gigantic monumental complex. The Vittoriano was not completed until 1935, although it had already been inaugurated by Victor Emmanuel III on June 4, 1911, on the 50th anniversary of the Unification of Italy.

From 1921 part of the Vittoriano was transformed into the Monument to the Unknown Soldier, housing the remains of a soldier who died in World War I in a crypt in the central core.

Photo reportage